– First-in PLAYBOOK: Modern Democrats from Massachusetts is endorsing Quentin Palfrey for state attorney general after he earned 67 percent support from the group’s members, his campaign said.
– No. 1 SHAKEUP: The DNC is upending the presidential nominating calendar currently led by Iowa and New Hampshire by opening an https://tennesseepaydayloans.net application process for the early slots, my POLITICO colleague Elena Schneider reports. Iowa, with its botched 2020 caucuses, is considered more at risk than New Hampshire. But if the Granite State loses its first-in-the-nation-primary status, our frequent access to candidates could go along with it. Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-N.H.) pledged to defend the pripshire Democrats Chair Ray Buckley and MassDems Chair Gus Bickford didn’t immediately return requests for comment.
Brand new Amounts
Don’t Skip Anything from The fresh new 2022 MILKEN INSTITUTE Globally Fulfilling: POLITICO is excited to partner with the Milken Institute to produce a special edition “Global Insider” newsletter featuring exclusive coverage and insights from the 25th annual Global Conference. This year’s event, May 1-4, brings together more than 3,000 of the world’s most influential leaders, including 700+ speakers representing more than 80 countries. “Celebrating the Power of Connection” is this year’s theme, setting the stage to connect influencers with the resources to change the world with leading experts and thinkers whose insight and creativity can implement that change. Whether you’re attending in person or following along from somewhere else in the world, keep up with this year’s conference with POLITICO’s special edition “Global Insider” so you don’t miss a beat. Subscribe today.
DATELINE BEACON Hill
– In order to Gas Taxation Or perhaps not So you’re able to Fuel Tax: ” But House Speaker Ron Mariano, who’s argued that a gas tax holiday could hurt the state’s bond rating, isn’t budging.
“I imagined it absolutely was an incredibly bizarre statement for a bond rating agency to make,” the Quincy Democrat said Wednesday. “Either it will affect the bond rating or it won’t.”
GOP governor hopeful Chris Doughty is seizing on the S&P proclamation to again call to suspend the gas tax. Beacon Hill Republicans could give it another go by filing a budget amendment.
– “Size. Household entry toward tax getaways recommended by Baker for now, aims to increase spending on babies, violent justice,”“,”link”:<"target":"NEW","attributes":,"url":"","_id":"00000180-2bcd-d0b8-ade9-6bed02f70001","_type":"33ac701a-72c1-316a-a3a5-13918cf384df">,”_id”:”00000180-2bcd-d0b8-ade9-6bed02f70002″,”_type”:”02ec1f82-5e56-3b8c-af6e-6fc7c8772266″>”>“Bulk. Family passes on tax vacations proposed from the Baker for the moment, tries to increase shelling out for infants, violent justice,” by the Matt Stout, Boston Business: “That includes a proposed $110 million to extend a free school meals initiative currently covered by an expiring federal program; tens of millions more dollars to bolster childcare worker salaries; and $20 million to cover a new proposal requiring all jails and prisons make phone calls free for prisoners and their families, something only one other state currently mandates. … Suffolk County Sheriff Steven Tompkins, who serves as president of the Massachusetts Sheriffs’ Association, said he supports efforts to make the calls free; most, if not all, sheriffs currently charge 14 cents a minute, he said. But ‘at first blush,’ he said, he doesn’t believe the $20 million would be enough, including to cover the portion of what departments collect to help fund inmate programs.”
– Weather Conflict: Vastly outnumbered Senate Republicans dropped “alternative legislation” on energy and climate change last night, just hours before the chamber is set to debate a proposal spearheaded by Senate President Karen Spilka. Senate Minority Leader Bruce Tarr said the Republicans’ plan – creating a $500 million Commonwealth Decarbonization and Energy Independence Fund to modernize the electric grid, provide rebates for electric vehicle purchases and charging stations, and “intensify” carbon sequestration efforts – “directs attention and spending to the places they need to go today to make cost-effective differences for tomorrow.”